Tuesday 24 January 2012

Virtue Ethics- When Does A Guy Become 'Too Nice'?


When I was in college, I studied an A-Level course in Religious Studies (it’s kinda like Philosophy). It was a very interesting subject and I learned important things. There was something that especially stood out for me and that was the teachings of Greek Philosopher Aristotle. He lived by Virtue Ethics. This was basically a way of life which focussed on getting the balance right, in terms of character traits, ultimately leading to happiness.

Traits were classified as either a vice deficiency (not enough), a virtue (just right) or a vice excessive (too much). For example, bravery is a virtue. An example of a vice deficiency to this could be not standing up to a bully and that could be defined as ‘spineless’. An example of the virtue itself would be standing up to a bully. An example of a vice excessive would be attempting to fight a strapped-up gang all by yourself and that would be defined as ‘STUPID’.

Virtue Ethics however is completely subjective and this is where my lovely readers come in. Many times, I’ve heard females say that some guys are ‘too nice’. I don’t know what that means but the word ‘too’ is never good, that’s a vice excessive. This isn’t aimed at me but I’ve always been curious what females meant by this. So try help me out with this one ladies, when does a guy become ‘too nice’?

No comments:

Post a Comment