Saturday 23 March 2019

FREDO- THIRD AVENUE REVIEW

*DISCLAIMER- WRITTEN IN FEBRUARY*

Image result for fredo third avenue

The West London trapper turned rapper has enjoyed a fair amount of success in his short career. He already has a number one hit under his Louis Vuitton belt after featuring on Dave's Funky Friday. His debut LP Third Avenue dropped at the beginning of February and landed at #5 in the national charts. He will also be touring major cities in Europe in a few months to promote his album. His progression has been more impressive taken into account his previous brushes with the law, a setback which could sidetrack many.

Hailing from the notorious Mozart Estate, the former Harrods enthusiast's lyrical content covers what most would expect. The opening bars to the very first track Survival Of The Fittest (a standout track) goes 

Survival of the Fittest
Man I'm coming from that jungle
So you can say I'm riding with gorillas
What I'm writing is the realist
This rapping really saved me
I was tired of the whipping
Balenciaga's cute, and so I buy them for the missus
If he's got the belly, Billy's tying up your nigga
And if he ain't be payin', you can find him in a river
I'm grinding in the winter
This coat costs me two stacks, so I ain't gonna shiver


This excerpt alone gives you a taste of the hood talk, the trapper talk, the playa talk, the gangsta talk as well as the baller talk and this is what the 13 track project primarily focusses on. So if you're into that, you'll be satisfied.

Image result for fredo

With this being said, Fredo shows his introspective side towards the end of the album. In my personal opinion, it's the songs like They Don'tLove You For That (a letter of appreciation to his mother) and Third Avenue (where he speaks about his younger years in Mozart Estate) that are among the standout tracks.

Lyrically, There's no denying Fredo's mic skills and he doesn't disappoint with his consistent displays of dope wordplay.

Production-wise?...I was feelin They Don't, Survival Of The Fittest and a few others but I wasn't a huge fan of the beats overall. Then again I've never been keen on 'UK Road Rap' beats anyway. I feel it's aimed more at the younger generation so if you're part of that demographic, you might like it.

To summarise, if you're into UK 'road rap' then check that out. Fredo was spittin' hard all the way through. I don't think fans of the artist or sub-genre will be disappointed.

I'll give it a 6 out of 10.  

FAVES
BEAT- They Don't
VERSE- Survival Of The Fittest
FEATURE- Dave (All I Ever Wanted)
TRACK-  Survival Of The Fittest

No comments:

Post a Comment