Sunday 9 June 2019

DJ KHALED- FATHER OF ASAHD REVIEW

Image result for dj khaled father of asahd

DEEEE JAYYYYYY KHALEEEEEDDDDD. 

'All I do is cringe cringe cringe no matter what/
Chat nonsense all the time and I think I've had enough/
And If I see Khaled in the building, I'm a tell him shut up
and don't come here, and don't come near, and don't come here/
shut up now, shut up now, shut up now/
Cos all I do is cringe cringe cringe/
When I hear you sing, don't come round here, just stay there'

That's what I would've said in a drunken rage if I copped a ticket to Wireless last year and if DJ Khaled actually turned up... Neither happened LOL. 
   The DJ, 'motivational speaker', devoted father, meme legend, hit-maker, 'unintentional' comedian and overall walking cringefest returns with his 11th LP. As always, it is packed with the A-listers of Hip Hop, RnB and even Dancehall.

Father Of Asahd kicks off with Holy Mountain. With Sizzla; Mavado and the recently-freed Buju Banton all featuring, this should have been a classic on paper. Unfortunately it just sounded like a bag of noise. Their verses would have been better suited to a traditional dancehall riddim.

Jealous (Breezy, Weezy and Big Sean) and the SZA-featured Just Us (which samples the classic Ms Jackson by Outkast) will most likely be released as singles. Neither of them to me are particularly bad tunes but I don't feel they have any true replay value. I can already imagine me forgetting about these tunes once I'm done with this review.  

Image result for nipsey hussle dj khaled

Higher is fire and is the best track on the album by a long way. The verses; the beat; the chorus, everything was dope. 
Won't Take My Soul had two cool verses from the legendary Nas and Meek Mill had a fire verse on Weather The Storm
Higher to Weather The Storm was a 3 track purple patch on FOA. The fact that Higher was the last video Nipsey Hussle shot will give this album a lot more significance... which is a shame in some ways considering how weak this LP is. 

Other than that Jay Z dropped a nice verse that went to waste on the forgettable Top Off. Big Sean shows why I think so highly of Detroit rappers on Thank You and Buju Banton's reggae closer Holy Ground proves my point about Holy Mountain as this tune was pretty good.

Image result for dj khaled

This was a 15-track album and the other stuff isn't worth mentioning unless you wanna hear something negative. For example, Freak N You was garbage and never shoulda sampled the Jodeci classic

DJ Khaled had a temper tantrum when FOA failed to go number 1. If he cared more about critical success than commercial success maybe it would have. DJ Khaled loves to say We The Best, not if this is anything to go by. I'll give this a 4.

FAVES
Verse- Meek Mill on Weather The Storm
Beat- Higher
Track- Higher


No comments:

Post a Comment