Saturday 25 May 2019

STYLES P- S.P. THE GOAT: GHOST OF ALL TIME REVIEW

Image result for ghost of all time

The Yonkers legend is over 20 years deep in the rap game. At this stage in a person's career, you may see some lose their appetite for spittin and take extended/permanent breaks and/or move on to other ventures. The ghost on the other hand has been as productive as ever. Last year he dropped 2 LP's plus a collab project with Harlem's Dave East and this year on May 3rd, he dropped his latest album titled S.P. The GOAT: Ghost Of All Time.

Here's a couple excerpts from the LP:-

'I don't wear a nose ring, but I let the nose ring.' Push The Line

'But I bet you I'ma change/
'Cause they tryna write my story,
And I don't like the frame/ 
Plus, I made my own lane,
And I'ma tryna spread the joy 'cause I feel my own pain.' Change


'You tryna go straight, who you curve first?/
Fuckin' right I'm a gangster, homie
But I'm a nerd first/
Smart enough to read up on the art of war/
Time is valuable
It's deeper than the Audemdar.' Out In The Jungle


Image result for styles p

The above bars gives you an insight of Pinero's 'gangster and the gentleman' brand of rap. His knack for being 'hood with a heart', 'street and smart' has seen him listed as a favourite by many hip-hop heads including myself. Along with still having his technical skills intact, Styles has always been consistent with his sound and this continues on SP the GOAT.
  The ghost has a fair amount of features (9) for his 11th solo LP including his LOX brothers-in-rhyme Jada and Sheek. The former maintains his no-wack-verses streak while the latter's bulletproof verse makes Push The Line a solid opener. His UK family D-Block Europe provide the hook for Filthy. Even though I'm all for supporting UK artists, I'd be lying if I said I was feelin' it. The best features actually came from the lesser known Nino Boy. His tag-team with Styles on What's Up Boy was dope and there was an unnamed rapper on Really Us who dropped a fire verse. Styles P himself didn't disappoint with any of his verses. Good wordplay and a couple nice punchlines throughout although the LP is predominantly 'hood talk' which could get tedious if you're new to Styles P.
  The production wasn't bad overall. The hype beats like So Much To Say and What's Up Boy were way better than the mellow ones on this album although Raw Dreams was kinda dope too.

While SP THE GOAT is not better than either The Gangster And The Gentleman or Time Is Money, I'm sure his fans won't be disappointed. I'll give this a 7.

FAVES
Verse- Out In The Jungle verse 2
Beat- So Much To Say
Feature- Unnamed rapper on Really Us
Track- Out In The Jungle

No comments:

Post a Comment